Distance Learning | Final Project



Flat Lay Photograph is a collection of items selected for an interesting or eye-catching composition. The items are arranged aesthetically and laid flat on a flat surface. The separate items or parts of the whole composition create a cohesive photograph when the artist fits the items together to create a relationship. The separate items create a relationship because of their likeness, color palette, tools of trade, etc.

  • The above photograph is demonstration of how you use a neutral background to lay your items on. 
  • Arrange the collected items in an interesting way.
  • Take a photo from the top of the arrangement in order to crop out anything on the outside of the composition space. 



Anyone can create a flat lay photograph. If you have ever been to a restaurant where you enjoyed their plating (this is the way they arrange the food on the plate) and the food aesthetic, you might have taken a picture before your first bite. Do you cook at home? Well, a flat lay photograph could be taken of the ingredients or the kitchen utensils you use to make your meal. Ok, now I'm hungry...all this talk about food.


Questions to ask yourself to inspire creativity with your flat lay photograph:
  • What am I reading?
  • What is my morning routine?
  • What items do I use to get ready for the day?
  • What is my hobby?
  • What is a sport I play?
  • What am I interested in?
  • What types of tools do I use every day?
  • What am I having for breakfast?
  • What did I get for my birthday during shelter in place (I know there are quite a few of you)?
  • How can I incorporate my favorite colors or hues in a flat lay photograph?
  • How can I arrangement my items in a creative way?
  • How can I show visual interest with my most used household items?
  • How can I tell a story with the items I choose for the flat lay photograph?
  • How can I create a good lighting source for my photograph?




Let's look at it another way. The possibilities are endless. The flat lay photograph could consist of your favorite things, all items that are alike in color. Items that you are going to wear that day, all of the creative tools you use to sketch in your sketchbook. Do you brush your teeth, floss, comb your hair, wash your face? Well, you could use any of your hygiene products to create a flat lay photograph. Photographers, artists, architects, entrepreneurs, network marketers, coffee drinkers, and teachers of any subject can collect items they use everyday to create a flat lay photograph.

Assignment:
  • Students will create their own flat lay photograph using objects or items to create visual interest, composition and cohesion.
  • Students choose a theme that they connect with on a visual or creative level. 
  • Students lay their objects flat on a flat surface and arrange the items in a visually pleasing way.
  • Students will take a photograph from a bird's eye view (on top, no angling) with their own devices.
Please send your questions via email or DM on Instagram. Please send you Final Project to my email or DM your flat lay photograph through DM on Instagram. 

This flat lay photograph will be due next Friday, May 15th, no later than 3:30pm (regular school hours). 

IMPORTANT! NO ASSIGNMENTS OR GRADES WILL BE ADDED OR CHANGED AFTER THIS DATE.

Comments

  1. Hi Dear,
    Thanks for sharing such useful blog. Really! This Blog is very informative for us which contain lot of information about online painting. I like this post. Please visit at "buy painting", i hope you may buy painting.

    Visit Here - https://artsoul.com.br/

    Thanks Regards,,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts